Week 12 StoryLab: The Creative Mind

Copyright is Brain Damage

I never thought about censorship the way that Nina Paley discussed. Copyright issues have always been annoying because in certain video projects, I may want to use certain songs but I can't be of copyright laws. In that way I see what Nina means. I was in my creative process, but my ideas were stunted by these companies imposing harsh laws. I understand where artists are coming from. They're just trying to protect the music they worked so hard to create. But in the Ted talk, Nina faced copyright issues over music from a band that isn't even alive anymore. And if they were, I'd like to think that they'd be happy to have their music still being spread around. Isn't that what all artists want? Artists should start supporting artists and that may mean changing copyright laws. (I'm very uneducated about this subject so I don't know if any of my points can be used as valid arguments, but Nina had a great talk!)

A New Theory of Human Intelligence 

Scott Kaufman made really great points in his discussion on intelligence. Many kids get left behind or overlooked because their levels of "intelligence" don't meet certain criteria. The problem isn't that the kids aren't learning. More like the type of learning that they are exposed to isn't conducive for them. Some students are more interactive or need more than a simple worksheet. Instead of trying to quiet these kids down, we need to encourage them to be comfortable with expressing themselves.


Comments

Popular Posts