Week 9 Storybook: My Five Sons

My dream of having children had died so long ago that I had become numb to the idea. But when Kunti told me the gods could give her children, my frozen heart began to melt. 

My five sons were born and my heart started beating again.

Seeing them grow up has been the greatest joy of my life. 

Yudhishthira is never angry with his little brothers. They would tug and pull at his hair, throw rocks at him, or do anything that should make a older brother angry. But he laughed it off, ruffled on his brothers hair, and let them ride on his shoulders. He helps his mothers prepare food and listens in on my counsel meetings. Yudhishthira is the son of Dharma, the god of virtue and patience.

Bhima, my strong rock. He takes beatings from his brothers without flinching, always winning in the end. His strength is overwhelming at times. As he's growing he's getting better at discerning when the appropriate time is to display his power. He is the family defender, always ready to stand up to those who have hurt us. Bhima, the son of Vayu, the god of strength and courage.

Arjuna, the master of archery. His skill of archery has drawn in the curious gaze of many men, women, and children alike. He is the favorite among the people of the country. He is most comfortable with a bow in his hands and seeing him without one was like seeing a sailor without his ship. Arjuna, son of Indra, god of the sky and war.

Nakula and Sahadeva, my stars. Both of them have large shadows cast on them from their great older brothers, but that didn't make them any less great. They are both master swordsmen. They are always happy to be a part of their brothers antics. Nakula and Sahadeva, sons of the Ashwin twins, gods of the celestial.

My five sons each carried something that their birth father had given them. 

But here on Earth, I will give them my love and comfort. I will help them and guide them like a father should.

My five sons.

Author's Note:
Pandu couldn't have sons because he shot a god in the woods by accident and a curse was put on him. But his wife Kunti told him that she could have children with the gods. So, she had three children with three gods. Pandu's second wife Madri, had their last two sons with twin gods. This story details Pandu's experience and joy of being a father.

Bibliography:
Epified 

Written By: Vijayendra Mohanty
Artist: Girish Malap

Voice: Sukant Goel




The five sons with their soon-to-be wife. web source





Comments

  1. The diversity of character displayed in the Pandu brothers was something that really fascinated me while reading the Mahabharata. I'm glad you decided to highlight them! I also like how you talked a little about what they acted like as children. That definitely added even more depth to their larger-than-life characters. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmin, I love learning about the things that Kunti herself admired so much about each of her sons. I think it would be cool to see how each of these brothers' individual personalities makes them great warriors, as their abilities are all tested by the end of the Mahabharata. For example, you could explain how Yudhisthira is the son of Dharma, he also exhibits qualities that show that he has virtue and patience. I personally would depict him to the be the brother that is the strongest at creating warfare strategies and making sure that his brothers do not act impulsively or irrational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jasmin! I like your “My Five Sons” story. It starts in an interesting way. “I” almost gave up of the idea of having children, yet Kunti informed “I” that “I” could finally have five amazing sons. I like how all five sons have different, distinctive personalities. I like the personality of Yudhishthira. His personality is kind of similar to my own, and I think it’ among the best personalities that one can have. I think all five personalities of the sons symbolize different strengths that one has to have to be a great person. I like how your story clearly explains the amazing traits of the five sons. Thank you for a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jasmin!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I found it interesting how you wrote it in the father's point of view. That gave more insight on how much he loved his sons, even though they all have a different birth father. Also, I liked how you described each of the five sons and some traits about them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jasmin! I liked how we got to learn about the skills and the origins of each of the brothers. I think that this could even be a beautiful prose-poem. My only problem is that the text can be a bit difficult to read with the white highlight - I have dyslexia though so I could be the only one with that problem! I also would have liked the twins to be seperated, given their own paragraph, although I understand that since they are twins and share the same skills, you were probably just trying to emulate that twinhood. I just think it would be an interesting twist as they are always mentioned as a unit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts