Week 11: StoryLab: "We're all stories, in the end."

While reading this, I realized that my Storybook project has a scope. A scope is basically the main focus of your story. Like, the scope I have in my storybook is centered around Karna and Arjuna. But the whole story happens within the Mahabharata world. Even further than that, I find myself wanting to add things to my story that don't hone in on Karna and Arjuna. Sometimes I get too caught up in details that I forget my point.

I think my storybook follows the in medias res approach to storytelling. In the introduction, we see Indra and Surya discussing the demise of one of their children. They are confused about how their children go to such a destructive place. The story that unfold depicts the events that led up to their final encounter. And hopefully the last story will circle back to that moment where the two fathers are on the battlefield and their questions will be answered or they will have some kind of closure.

This chapter shows examples of pacing. One of the examples shows a quick style of pacing where ideas are laid out straight and the other includes more imagery/emotion evoking words. I have had a struggle with pacing while writing stories this semester. I'm always stuck between making sure I don't write a story that's too long and writing a story that captures the full essence of what I'm trying to say. I feel like seeing long stories in this class is a little off putting because a lot of people won't want to take the time to read it. So, I'm still trying to find the perfect in between.

Under the Knife was a very image-evoking story. It had many great metaphors and the way the narrator described things really made you feel like you were in that operating room.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this article and it was helpful to get me re energized to finish up this semester with some great writing.

EmpoWord



Comments

Popular Posts