Feedback Strategies

Preschoolers and Praise: What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow?
I loved this article! I never thought about changing the way I say generic things like "Good Job" to more specific statements. It's just so easy to blurt out a short phrase while I'm barely paying attention to a kid doing something they've been doing over and over again. I think by crafting more creative statements it will benefit the child and the adult. It will help the parent be more aware and appreciative for their children. And it will help the children understand their strengths. The power of yet is something that I want to implement as a parent. I think it's important to raise children that believe in themselves and believe in hard work. (Also, loved the Sesame Street video!)
Not yet, but soon. web source


Be a Mirror
The biggest thing that I struggle with is taking myself out of the feedback. It so much easier to talk about what you liked or thought about the story then it is to keep the focus on the reader. Although, I agree with all the steps they mentioned in the article. I like that one approach emphasizes commenting on what the author has put worth and not focusing on what they did not include. I feel like when I have given feedback before, it's never been feedback that be used in future writing projects. I want to work on commenting more on writing styles/techniques and applauding diverse vocabulary and imagery.

Comments

Popular Posts