Growth Mindset: The Sleeper

The Sleeper

I figured that there were professors that took personal offense when students slept in class. Honestly, I would be offended. It would feel a bash on my teaching skills. I remember I had this history professor freshman year that would slam down his hand on your desk if he caught you sleeping.

It was refreshing to watch this video and see a professor who went out of his way to inquire the reason always slept in class. Further than that, he provided an avenue in which the student true potential could be measured.

The academic world needs to fully realize that every single individual learns differently. And while most of us can adapt to the formal rules of school, some can't. Instead of indirectly punishing them with reprimands and bad grades, we should create an environment that fosters growth in a way that better fits them.

I think lecture halls induce release of melatonin. web source


Comments

  1. I really like reading about your post. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep in a lecture before, but I have always thought people that did were so rude. Now, I wonder their reasons, as well. I plan on teaching after graduation, so this is something I will need to keep in my mind. Sometimes there are more complicated reasons as to why they can't stay awake than simply they find it boring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts