Reading Notes: Jatakas

Goblin City by W. H. D. Rouse
-Fairy God Mother

  • I want their to still be a rescue element in the story, but I want it to be more of a challenge. The basic premise is that fairy god mother will grant freedom to those who deserve it. She will ask a number of questions to the sailors that will reveal their true intentions/why they were lured onto the island. The men have to come to terms with themselves in order to leave the island. I would tweak the story a little to say something like those who are "lost" are more easily lured on to the island by the she-goblins. I also want to make the fairy god mother a tiger instead of a horse.

  • The plot was interesting to me. I want there to still be some sort of challenge for the throne. Instead of taking the lotuses from the ogre, maybe I could change to something along the lines of ; the ogre is a grumpy older ogre that has grown away from society. Bodhisatta has to convince him to plant lotuses near the lake. The ogre could present Bodhisatta with a number of tasks before he gives him the permission to plant the lotuses. 
  • The dialogue in the story was nice. I like the information flowed through the dialogue and how it connected the characters. It made the animals seem more life-like and allowed me to connect me them easier. I don't know how exactly I want my stories' dialogue, but I think I do want to use some. 




Comments

Popular Posts