Feedback Thoughts

Neil Gaiman's advice on the creative life 
I'm kind of biased because I like Neil Gaiman, but I thought his speech was really great. He spoke from his own experiences and was a living example of someone who made mistakes, but succeeded anyway. I want to be less afraid of making mistakes, but its just so hard. I've been wired to see things in black and white. I'm so fixed on this idea of feedback as a personal attack to my character, when its not that at all. I hope to get better at receiving and accepting feedback as I continue to grow.

Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt
Comparison if the thief of joy!! It took me too long to come to terms with this and there are days when I still fall victim to comparison, but I'm getting better. I think that comparison is a huge factor in why I don't love feedback because my first thought is always something along the lines of "I wonder if I did the worst" or "Shes better than me, she probably did everything right." Whatever the thought may be, they are not healthy. As mentioned in this article, vulnerability also plays a role in my hesitance to take risks. I'm scared to take the chance because I don't want to open myself up to potential failure. But in the past when I've received feedback, its always been for my betterment. When I take a moment to step back and really think about the feedback I get, I see the best results.

Feedback is what you make of it. web source

Comments

Popular Posts